Add a Single User
- Click Add New User in the left menu.
- Fill out the user’s basic information. The First Name and Last Name fields are required, while Job Title is optional but can be used in reports as a grouped item.
- Email addresses are not currently required, but if you do enter an email address, the user will have certain advantages:
- Users can use their email address as their user ID instead of a system-generated user ID.
- Users will be able to reset their own lost passwords.
- Users will be able to receive system-generated email.
- Choose whether you would like the system to send an automatic welcome email with a temporary password and first-time login instructions to the newly created user by selecting the Send a welcome email to this person with username/password option. This selection requires an email address for the user. If you wish to deliver their temporary password by some other means, select I will give this person their username/password myself.
- Choose the user’s classification (employee, contractor, volunteer, student, or other).
- Select the type of employee this user will be (hourly or salaried). Things to consider:
- Employees designated Hourly will, by default, record regular time that can be used in payroll calculations for overtime. If you have salaried employees that accrue overtime, you should categorize them as Hourly.
- The “By Hours Worked” accrual method only applies to employees categorized as Hourly.
- Choose the user’s time zone and daylight savings setting.
- Select the user’s access level.
- Employees have the least access of any user. They only have access to their own information.
- Supervisors are mid-level users with flexible permission settings (see our “Supervisor Settings” article for more information).
- Account administrators are the highest-level users in the account and have unrestricted access to data.
- The Reports to selection is required for employee and supervisor level users.
- The Select which features this employee will have access to section controls which features will be enabled for this user. Only features which have been enabled at the company-wide level will be available for selection here.
- Click the Add User button to create the user’s account. If you chose to send a welcome email, it will be sent immediately. You will receive an email with the newly created user’s details and temporary password.
Import a User List
- Click Add New User in the left menu.
- Under Need to add a large number of users? at the top of the page, click the blue import file link.
- On the following page, click the blue Click here link to download the pre-formatted import file. This file is a spreadsheet you’ll use to add your users and contains complete instructions for adding data to each column. DO NOT change the format of the file in any way or the import will not work. You should only add a new line for each user you plan to create.
- Once completed, save this file to an easily accessible location on your computer.
- Return to the User Import page, click the Browse button, navigate to the location where you saved your file, and click Open.
- Check the box next to Send a welcome email to employees with their login and password information if you would like the system to send an automatic welcome email (see above).
- Check the box next to Send an email to [email address] with a list of created employees and temporary passwords if you would like to send a complete list of users and their temporary passwords to yourself or someone else upon import.
- Check the box next to Validate only. Do not import the users if you are not ready to import the users yet, but you would like to verify that the formatting of your import file is correct.
Note: The system may reject your import due to errors in the formatting and/or data of the spreadsheet. Please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance with the process. We are here to help!