Note: These instructions assume you have completed the setup instructions for Project Time to QuickBooks Desktop Edition. If you have not, see this article for instructions.
Step 1. Exporting your Data
- In your Timesheets.com account, visit the Reports page and then click Customizable Report under Project Time Tracking.
- Select your date range and other filters for your download file.
- Once you’ve selected all the correct criteria, click the QuickBooks CSV download button at the bottom of the page to initiate the download.
- Do not open the file. Instead, save it locally in a directory of your choice. Export files are saved in your Downloads directory unless you specify otherwise.
Step 2. Importing your Data to QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the Timesheets.com Importer App by double clicking the icon you installed on your desktop during setup.
- Click the Project Time for Billing button along the top of the app window. An “open” window will appear. Find and select your downloaded file.
- When opened, your data will appear in the importer window. You can make any last minute changes to the data here by editing the cells directly.
- At the bottom of the importer app window, you can select whether to create invoices automatically and whether to import time if the Customer or Job cannot be found in QuickBooks.
- Click the Import to QuickBooks button in the bottom-left to begin the import process.
- Once your data is imported, you’ll see a message confirming your import. You may now close the Timesheets.com Importer App and begin your billing process in QuickBooks. The data will have been written to individual employee or contractor timesheets.
- Employees are compared between Timesheets.com and QuickBooks using their employee number, so exact spelling of names is no longer required, but other list items must have exact spelling and capitalization of names; otherwise, the import will not work. This includes customers and jobs, service items, classes, and payroll items.
- Once the import process is complete, the data will be in QuickBooks on the weekly timesheets. When you create invoices, QuickBooks will notify you that you have unbilled time on your timesheets and ask you if you want to use that data.
- The Account Code from Timesheets.com can be configured to translate into any of these QuickBooks values:
- Service Item (default value)
- Payroll Item
- When importing, if you check the box for the option to create or reactivate customers and jobs, then the process will create or reactivate customers and jobs if they don’t already exist in QuickBooks at the time of the import.
- While projects can be used between multiple customers in Timesheets.com, this is not true in QuickBooks. QuickBooks requires each customer to have its own unique jobs even if they have the same name.